Monday, August 2, 2010

Mother's Day Tea - Handmade Fringe Flower Tutorial

This month at Scrap Our Stash  our challenge is FLOWERS....preferrable Handmade...  so here is my layout...and a tutorial on how I made the "fringe" flowers.
1)  Cut a strip of paper...mine is 12x1.5 -- Use double sided patterned paper
(and sorry that my mat is so dirty...it's very heavily used!!)

2) Cut slits fairly thin all the way down & length of the strip and be sure to go pretty deep, but careful not to cut all the way through! 

This is what it should look like:
                                       
3)  Start at one end and roll the strip until you get to the end...(do not adhere yet)
If you did not use double sided paper, or if you did, be sure the pattern that you want is on the inside that you are rolling into the inside (I rolled my stripes inside)
4)  The bottom (non-fringe end) will look like this
5) I like mine to be a little "looser", so I release the pressure in my fingers and let the strip "unroll" a little (like it just loosens up...) and now looks like this..
6) Back to the fringe cut end... put a glue dot on the "NON CUT" edge and finish the final roll and secure it.
The fringe end will look like this...
7)  Set the flower down on your table (fringe side up) and start opening the fringes with your fingers..

8)  Keep opening until you get it all opened up and how you want it...you can even crumple it a little if you want. (I didn't crumple mine)

Here is a smaller flower on the left that i did and the larger one in the tutorial on the right. I used a stripe paper so you could get a good visual of the process.

2 comments:

  1. Joni... great LO and FABULOUS tutoria!! I love the step by step directions!! We might just have to have you do a few for FD!!! Thanks for all your help while I was away!! I left you an award on my blog!!
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMYGOSH!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee those flowers (thanks for the how to!!) They are just AWESOME!! And I am LOVING your lo...that photo is GREAT of you and Joseph! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete